Evergreen ILS Website

IRC log for #evergreen, 2015-03-06

| Channels | #evergreen index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary

All times shown according to the server's local time.

Time Nick Message
05:09 pinesol_green Incoming from qatests: Test Failure - http://testing.evergreen-ils.org/~live/test.html <http://testing.evergreen-ils.org/~live/test.html>
07:38 dbs Task "karma:unit" failed in the phantomJS tests (which, btw, COOL)
07:43 mrpeters joined #evergreen
07:51 rjackson_isl joined #evergreen
08:01 julialima_ joined #evergreen
08:13 Dyrcona joined #evergreen
08:18 collum joined #evergreen
08:23 akilsdonk joined #evergreen
08:38 mmorgan joined #evergreen
08:39 Dyrcona WTF, Evergreen?
08:42 bshum That kind of morning already?
08:43 Dyrcona No a/t events were process at 00:15 the other night when we ran out of settings drones.
08:44 Dyrcona So, that puts me back at square one, I think.
08:48 graced joined #evergreen
08:49 gsams joined #evergreen
08:54 ericar joined #evergreen
08:59 jeff_ joined #evergreen
09:06 jeff @tableflip INN-Reach
09:06 pinesol_green jeff: What do you mean? An African or European swallow?
09:09 jeff Simple weight ratios! A 3k ItemRequested message could not carry a 700 byte ShippingInformation stanza!
09:09 jeff Wait, no. It could. It should. That would MAKE SENSE if it did.
09:09 jeff (which is perhaps why it doesn't)
09:10 yboston joined #evergreen
09:11 jeff "Well, it doesn't matter. Will you go and tell your patron that the audiobook of Pilgrim's Progress from agency zv108 is here?"
09:11 jeff "Where is 'here'?"
09:11 jeff "Huh? I... I don't know that."
09:11 jeff [EVERYTHING gets thrown off the bridge with a cry of AAUGH!]
09:13 gmcharlt jeff++ # being forward thinking and arranging interstellar ILL
09:13 collum Your next task is the rabbit.
09:15 * Dyrcona goes to reading Introduction to Python 3.
09:17 yboston here is the link for the DIG hackfest Google Hangout: https://plus.google.com/hangout​s/_/g6xswgw5bc3xtoy5wlfm6p46tya
09:20 kmlussier yboston: I'm not going to be able to join the hackfest until later. I have a few things I need to do this morning first.
09:20 yboston kmlussier: no problem
09:30 maryj joined #evergreen
09:31 csharp so in my prep for my (proposed) EG2015 session on server logging, I'm interested whether anyone has gotten Evergreen logging via systemd/journalctl since that's what's coming down the road for mainstream distros
09:32 csharp has anyone given thought and/or experimentation towards that?
09:32 bshum csharp: I finally left syslog-ng server behind last year when our log server inexplicably exploded.
09:33 bshum And I had to build a new one using rsyslog.
09:33 bshum So.... no, not from me.
09:33 bshum :)
09:33 csharp cool
09:33 csharp we've been using rsyslog for a while now
09:33 mrpeters joined #evergreen
09:39 csharp my plan right now is to build a fedora EG server and 1) see what happens to logs by default and 2) try and configure systemd/journalctl to treat them similarly to rsyslog/traditional syslog
09:40 _bott_ joined #evergreen
09:41 alynn26 joined #evergreen
09:52 remingtron graced: I have a question about documenting the web client
09:52 berick csharp: i'm curious how that turns out
09:52 * graced is all ears
09:53 remingtron graced: when should we start telling people to post individual web client bugs to launchpad?
09:54 remingtron can they start now? or is ESI still working through their own list?
09:54 graced remingtron: we have resolved all but a few (less than 10 I think) bugs that were reported initially.
09:54 graced So, we'll release that WHOLE list next week with the reports and resolutions so people can cross check their bugs?
09:55 graced And as we've been fixing we've been updating webby, of course
09:55 remingtron do you expect to release the remaining ones as launchpad bugs, or some other published list?
09:56 yboston Heads up, I will be stepping away from my desk from 10 AM EST to about 11 AM EST; feel free to use the Google Hangout without me there
09:56 graced We plan to resolve all the bugs but there are a few that we will be moving to LP to get some assistance/sanity checking from a larger group
09:57 graced So, the resolved ones won't be duplicated on LP, we'll just release the spreadsheet showing the reported bugs and the resolution
09:57 remingtron right, sounds good.
09:57 graced We do have a different plan for bug reporting for Sprint #2... so hopefully this will be less... complicated
09:58 graced Well, I should say we're looking at several different plans. we haven't settled yet.
09:58 graced Regardless, I think they're all better than round 1
09:58 remingtron improvement is good!
09:58 graced :)
09:59 graced remingtron: I have to run but feel free to ping me Monday or email me if you think of anything else.
09:59 remingtron graced: thanks!
09:59 graced np, thank you!
10:03 remingtron @later tell graced For the record, a docs commit was backported to 2.7 today (to fix a syntax bug) that says to report bugs on launchpad. Since ESI is very near completion on their bug list, I will leave that commit as it is, since there is very little chance of duplicate bugs being reported before you publish your list next week.
10:03 pinesol_green remingtron: The operation succeeded.
10:19 kbutler joined #evergreen
10:33 maryj joined #evergreen
10:33 remingtron thanks to MassLNC for updating their community test server (http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwik​i/doku.php?id=community_servers)
10:33 remingtron I'm using it for the docs hackfest today.
10:34 remingtron kmlussier++ Dyrcona++
10:34 remingtron #and any others who helped
10:37 kmlussier tsbere++
10:48 remingtron tsbere++
10:50 remingtron I'm documenting the new 2.8 ability to delete copy locations, and wanted to add info about other common copy-location-editor actions. Anyone have comments?
10:50 remingtron OPAC visible, holdable, checkin alert, etc.?
10:51 remingtron (and how to explain them in 1 line)
10:52 mmorgan I'll give it a try for some...
10:52 mmorgan Checkin Alert with provide an alert at checkin that the item needs to be routed to that location.
10:53 mmorgan Holdable set to false will make all copies in that location NOT holdable regardless of other settings.
10:53 mmorgan OPAC Visible set to false will hide all copies in that location from the public OPAC
10:55 jeff Last I looked, the checkin alert is limited to only interfaces (such as the staff client) that maintain a list of shelving locations with alert messages and pop up the message accordingly. There is no checkin event thrown, it is not a "do you want to override this?" kind of action, and there is zero effect on things like SIP checkins. I should go verify all that to ensure that it's still that way.
10:55 jeff Holdable set to false at the shelving location level has some interesting interactions with staff-placed copy level holds, I think.
10:55 remingtron mmorgan++ #thanks for the help!
10:56 remingtron jeff++ #thanks for the detailed perspective
10:57 jeff Somewhere it's worth documenting if it isn't documented yet (or documenting in multiple locations) that certain things like "opac visible" exist as both shelving location and item attributes. Any "no" trumps.
10:57 mmorgan Hold verify, I can't quite remember how that works. Looked at it a bit ago. I *think* if set to true, it pops up an alert for items in that location at capture time saying "Hold capture delayed".
10:58 mmorgan jeff++ excellent point!
10:59 jeff Hold Capture Verify in the staff client means that if an item is being checked in and would normally capture for a hold, staff receive a message (possibly paraphrasing:) "this item could be captured for a hold but has been prevented by policy" with a prompt to capture the item or not.
11:00 jeff The original use case was to prevent immediate availability of AV materials that had been checked in but had not yet been "inspected" for damage / missing discs / cleaning.
11:01 jeff That's one of those things where we needed the functionality, we funded the development, and now we no longer need the functionality (we did use the feature for many years). I do not know if anyone else uses it, or what their use case is if different from ours.
11:08 vlewis joined #evergreen
11:08 jboyer-isl I think the message confuses staff. "prevented by policy" sounds like you can't have it, not that it has been delayed for some other purpose with the intent of allowing it later.
11:09 mmorgan remingtron++
11:23 jeff jboyer-isl: yep. "delayed because it is in the shelving location FOO, whose configuration prevents automatic hold capture" or something might be better. :-)
11:24 jeff or just "because its shelving location is configured to prevent automatic hold capture"
11:26 jboyer-isl That one is pretty good. I wasn't necessarily arguing to have it changed, but the only time it's ever come up here is when someone checks a box to see what it does and then the circ staff start asking questions. :)
11:29 mglass joined #evergreen
11:31 * jeff nods
11:32 eeevil joined #evergreen
11:35 pinesol_green [evergreen|Remington Steed] Docs: 2.8 feature "Deleted flag for copy locations" - <http://git.evergreen-ils.org/?p=​Evergreen.git;a=commit;h=35b8417>
11:37 jeff possible typo: +* Set _OPAC Visible_ to "No" to hide all copies in a copy location from the
11:37 jeff +public catalog. (This can also be managed at the _Shelving Location_ level.)
11:37 jeff seems like a circular reference
11:41 * mmorgan agrees with jeff. Maybe remingtron meant it to say (This can also be managed at the _Copy_ level.)
11:44 kmlussier berick++ #simply for assigning yourself to bug 1234220 :)
11:44 pinesol_green Launchpad bug 1234220 in Evergreen "Renewal blocked due to holds ratio does not display block message" (affected: 2, heat: 10) [Medium,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1234220 - Assigned to Bill Erickson (berick)
11:44 berick kmlussier: i'm blazing new ground over here ;)
11:46 kmlussier berick: You will have at least one guaranteed tester if you find a fix for that. :)
11:47 berick kmlussier: reload, plz
11:47 kmlussier Hooray!
11:48 kmlussier berick++
11:48 remingtron jeff: oops, I misread your initial comment. Thanks for the correction.
11:53 bmills joined #evergreen
11:54 dbs Dyrcona: fwiw, Francis is a pretty well-known #code4libber and could actually make the dream of *BSD support possible, given some encouragement :)
12:00 berick dbs++
12:02 sandbergja joined #evergreen
12:06 Dyrcona dbs: Whatever. I don't know this person. Respect must be earned.
12:06 Dyrcona Plus, I'm not having a good day.
12:06 Dyrcona Plus, I often come off "mean" when I'm just being terse.
12:08 Dyrcona Plus, I'm really down on Evergreen right now.
12:08 Dyrcona Plus, I should stop saying "plus."
12:08 * Dyrcona eats lunch.
12:13 dbs Dyrcona: Sorry to hear you're not having a good day :/
12:16 Dyrcona It has been the whole week, really, but I don't want to bore everyone with details.
12:22 jeffdavis Hm, the person who reported bug 1428753 (based on the evergreen-catalogers thread) is on EG2.2 :(
12:22 pinesol_green Launchpad bug 1428753 in Evergreen "Fixed field 008 Time Tech do not display in fixed field grid" (affected: 1, heat: 6) [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1428753
12:22 jeffdavis I wonder how many sites are running unsupported versions of EG.
12:22 Dyrcona jeffdavis: Lots, I imagine.
12:23 * Dyrcona used to have his own version of berick's FreeBSD installation notes with changes, but I believe that I deleted it a couple of years ago. :(
12:26 jeffdavis Maybe more to the point, I wonder if we can be doing more to encourage folks to keep their systems up to date, or if we should be more emphatic about the lifetime of releases.
12:26 jeff making upgrades easier is a big part.
12:26 jeff every bit helps there.
12:26 jeff including web staff client.
12:26 akilsdonk joined #evergreen
12:27 jeff and per-attribute reingest as introduced in recent evergreen versions, etc.
12:27 pinesol_green [evergreen|Remington Steed] Docs: 2.8 feature correction - <http://git.evergreen-ils.org/?p=​Evergreen.git;a=commit;h=23efe68>
12:27 jeff but this is a good conversation to have, because i'm sure there are lots of ideas and lots of reasons folk have for keeping on the versions they're on.
12:29 jeffdavis I'm mostly curious if there's a lack of awareness about EG release lifecycles. I imagine many libraries aren't used to the idea of upgrading their ILS every 1-2 years.
12:30 jeffdavis Let alone more frequently, for you bleeding-edge folks :)
12:31 Dyrcona jeffdavis: We upgrade roughly with every major release, i.e. every 6 months.
12:32 Dyrcona We patch in fixes as needed and git makes that easy.
12:33 Dyrcona I believe bshum and Bibliomation also upgrade about that often.
12:33 jeff jeffdavis: the fact that i'm having trouble finding an obvious location on the web site or wiki that states the community policy on that is making me think that you MIGHT be on to something!
12:33 * jeff ducks
12:33 jeff hrm.
12:34 gmcharlt and community policy can't by itself drive a library to upgrade
12:34 jeff no.
12:35 gmcharlt some libraries are happy as clams with whatever version of EG they're running, and may be both aware of the new stuff -- and yet feel no compelling reason to change
12:35 * jeff nods
12:35 gmcharlt others are more than usually averse to to taking downtime... thouse of course, the longer one puts off a major upgrade...
12:36 jeff I don't know ANY libraries that are averse to upgrade-related downtime!
12:36 krvmga_ joined #evergreen
12:36 * jeff (once again) ducks
12:36 * dbs suspects the Dojo community is having the same discussion
12:36 gmcharlt also, TPAC and in-DB circ can represent a *lot* of work to switch to
12:36 * Dyrcona quacks.
12:36 dbs And also the XUL community. Heh.
12:36 gmcharlt jeff: so, how's the weather in your alternate universe? ;)
12:37 jeff @weather ktvc --bizarro
12:37 pinesol_green jeff: The current temperature in Traverse City, Michigan is 24.8°F (11:53 AM EST on March 06, 2015). Conditions: Mostly Cloudy. Humidity: 51%. Dew Point: 8.6°F. Windchill: 14.0°F. Pressure: 30.22 in 1023 hPa (Falling).
12:37 jeff apparently the same as here.
12:37 dbs For some reason I thought the policy was listed on the downloads page
12:37 dbs Holy crow there are a lot of links on the downloads page now :)
12:38 jeff dbs: that was the first place i looked also -- the current supported status of each version is, but i didn't see the policy or a link to it. also wasn't apparent in some limited wiki searching, at which point i said to myself, "okay, this might need some attention"
12:39 gmcharlt dbs: which reminds me
12:39 jeff @decide moo! or kaw!
12:39 pinesol_green jeff: Yeah, well, you know, that's just like uh, your opinion, man.
12:39 jeff pinesol_green: fine, i'll go ask zoia then.
12:39 pinesol_green jeff: Try restarting apache.
12:39 pinesol_green jeff: I am only a bot, please don't think I'm intelligent :)
12:39 gmcharlt FOLKS, your periodic reminder that 2.5 will be desupported upon release of 2.8.0! :)
12:43 Dyrcona Err. 2.5 is already unsupported and 2.5.9 was only done, 'cause the security release process started before March 1.
12:47 kmlussier I don't think the policy was ever moved to the web site. I think it's in some long-ago email to the general and dev lists.
12:49 * dbs says in "Drunk Uncle" voice, "I'm **prettty sure** it was at least on a wiki page"
12:50 dbs http://wiki.evergreen-ils.org/doku.php?id=dev:e​vergreen:supported_releases&amp;rev=1348773481 but it was deleted
12:52 jeff has the wiki lost the history of that page?
12:52 dbs http://wiki.evergreen-ils.org​/doku.php?id=release_schedule - nothing else in the wiki links to the page. heh
12:52 dbs jeff: nope. I created it, lebbeous deleted it
12:52 jeff at least when logged in, nothing i can see lets me get to the revision you linked.
12:52 dbs http://wiki.evergreen-ils.org/doku.php?id=dev:​evergreen:supported_releases&amp;do=revisions
12:53 jeff er, "at least when NOT logged in", that is.
12:53 dbs I found the link from http://wiki.evergreen-ils.org/dok​u.php?id=dev:meetings:2011-11-22
12:54 dbs I'm not logged in. Strange
12:54 dbs jeff: the "old revisions" link for every page is on the right hand side. even for deleted pages
12:54 Dyrcona I'm usually not logged in to dokuwiki.
12:54 buzzy joined #evergreen
12:54 dbs Might require javascript
12:56 kmlussier This is the email thread I was thinking of: http://georgialibraries.markma​il.org/thread/2ofnmjgoku4zeng2. Not sure if those bits made it to the wiki or not.
12:57 gmcharlt kmlussier: thanks for digging that up
12:57 dbs Yeah, I've been working through dev meeting minutes and http://wiki.evergreen-ils.org/dok​u.php?id=dev:meetings:2011-12-20 seems to be the last mention
12:57 gmcharlt and dbs too
12:58 gmcharlt I think that gives me enough to put something up on the main website
13:03 * Dyrcona needs an "alias" for ubunut->ubuntu...
13:03 dbs gmcharlt++
13:03 kmlussier gmcharlt++
13:03 * berick needs a psql alias for udpate -> update
13:04 Dyrcona berick: heh. me, too. :)
13:04 jeff dbs: i see where i went wrong -- i clicked the page in my "Trace" breadcrumb/navigation, which took me to a completely different (but SLIGHTLY related) page.
13:04 jeff Ud Paté
13:04 Dyrcona jeff: That does not sound appetizing....
13:05 Dyrcona ;)
13:16 taterrr joined #evergreen
13:56 jihpringle joined #evergreen
14:01 jeff Dyrcona: neither does an SQL UDPATE :-)
14:01 Dyrcona heh
14:13 Dyrcona Ooh. Upgrade script errors.
14:13 Dyrcona psql:/home/opensrf/Evergreen/Open-ILS/src/sql/​Pg/upgrade/0910.schema.message-center.sql:76: ERROR:  null value in column "create_date" violates not-null constraint
14:14 Dyrcona psql:/home/opensrf/Evergreen/Open-ILS/src/sql​/Pg/upgrade/0911.data.message-center.sql:27: ERROR:  column "message_usr_path" of relation "event_definition" does not exist
14:14 Newziky joined #evergreen
14:14 jonadab Shouldn't a create_date have an automatic grab-the-current-date default?
14:15 Dyrcona *Should* is one thing. *Does* is another. :)
14:16 Dyrcona I have a hunch things are just done out of order.
14:16 Dyrcona Since I'm not messing with message center. I won't worry about it today.
14:16 eady Well, yes.
14:17 berick huh, actor.usr_note has a default create_date, but it's NULLable
14:17 berick guessing you have a usr_note w/ a NULL create_date
14:17 berick may need a coalesce in the upgrade
14:18 jonadab Upgrades are so much fun.  Why don't people do them more often?  ;-)
14:18 Dyrcona Or, maybe a nullable column? Since who knows when the note was created.
14:18 kmlussier Huh. What would cause a user note not to have a create date?
14:18 berick kmlussier: i'm guessing through non-standard means
14:18 Dyrcona jonadab: I do them quite often ion my development server.
14:18 berick like, a manual insert or a migration or some such
14:18 Dyrcona You might say, that's what this was. :)
14:18 dbs non-null prevents non-standard data :)
14:18 jonadab Dyrcona: Ah, yes.
14:19 Dyrcona dbs: Where's the fun in that? ;)
14:19 dbs If we wanted fun, we would have used mysql
14:19 jonadab Heh.
14:19 berick heh, indeed
14:19 Dyrcona SQLite....or BerkeleyDB.
14:20 Dyrcona GDBM, anyone?
14:20 jonadab I actually use MySQL for a lot of stuff.  But I wholeheartedly endorse the choice of Postgres for an ILS.
14:20 Dyrcona No takers?
14:20 dbs MARC::Charset took GDBM didn't it?
14:20 Dyrcona jonadab: Ditto.
14:20 * berick likes sqlite.. for other stuff ;)
14:20 dbs me too, but not by choice :)
14:20 Dyrcona But really the 0911 error bothers me more, since 0910 is my data's fault. :)
14:21 jeff dbs: yes, which makes MARC::Charset fail on perl that was compiled without a system having libgdbm :-)
14:21 berick Dyrcona: 0911 fails because 0910 did
14:21 Dyrcona I've used hsqldb for some Java stuff.
14:21 Dyrcona berick: OK, then.
14:22 Dyrcona Anyway... I'll fix that after I mangle some biblio record entry buckets.
14:23 yboston jihpringle: got a moment?
14:23 * csharp has an aversion to messages (in IRC or email) that begin "Hi Guys..."
14:23 Dyrcona In order to make them "shared," I have to set pub to true, right? These are staff buckets.
14:24 jihpringle yboston: sure
14:24 yboston do you guys/gals have docuemtnation for the cataloging "manage authorites" interface?
14:24 Dyrcona gmcharlt: I knew I should have saved a local copy of berick's FreeBSD notes earlier. :)
14:24 mmorgan Dyrcona: you mean shared among staff?
14:25 Dyrcona mmorgan: Yes.
14:25 yboston I may start a very bare bones doc to docuemnt my 2.8 feature if you don't
14:25 Dyrcona Actually, they just need the bucket #, don't they?
14:25 mmorgan Yup!
14:25 Dyrcona Been one of /those/ weeks.
14:25 Dyrcona Thanks, mmorgan!
14:26 mmorgan YW. BTW, it's Friday!
14:26 jihpringle yboston: no, we don't have any authorities docs yet of any kind, we're still in the testing phase without an expected dates to start using authorities
14:26 yboston jihpringle: OK, I'll make a bare bones docs
14:26 yboston jihpringle: thanks
14:27 jihpringle np
14:27 gmcharlt Dyrcona: hee
14:28 Dyrcona \o/ It's Friday after all!
14:28 gmcharlt at least the URL will continue to be COOL, once the TTL has passed
14:28 berick Dyrcona: http://git.evergreen-ils.org/?p=working/random.git​;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/collab/berick/eg-freebsd
14:28 berick for posterity
14:28 Dyrcona I think I may based my branc on that one.
14:28 Dyrcona branch
14:28 Dyrcona It has been at least 3 years though.
14:29 * Dyrcona is going to go home, eat chocolate cookies, drink some milk, and watch a Marx Brothers marathon, and consequently drive his family crazy.
14:30 * dbs has used sqlite (Android) and apache derby (shocker) for some java things
14:30 csharp Dyrcona++
14:30 dbs Dyrcona++
14:31 Dyrcona I've played with sqlite but not used it seriously. Just to kick the tires as it were.
14:31 Dyrcona Anyway....back to record buckets.
14:33 jonadab SQLite is much better than rolling your own black-box DB-in-a-file format.
14:33 jonadab Which I have seen people do.
14:34 dbs sqlite++
14:34 berick it's wonderfully simple
14:34 dbs I have great respect for Richard Hipp
14:35 jonadab Of course, there's always CSV.
14:35 * jonadab ducks.
14:35 * Dyrcona quacks.
14:35 kmlussier Dyrcona++
14:35 Dyrcona I've used DBD::CSV for something that needed read only access to CSV data.
14:35 dbs jihpringle: yboston: http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwi​ki/doku.php?id=authorities:2.0 are ancient docs for the first iteration
14:36 yboston dbs: gracias
14:36 Dyrcona I think it was something related to Evergreen, too, some kind of clean up project.
14:38 Dyrcona Well, looks like I did something right today.
14:39 Dyrcona berick: I think I'm just going to set some arbitrary date on my null usr_notes, like 2011-05-30 at midnight.
14:39 Dyrcona That's roughly the time of our migration.
14:39 berick Dyrcona: you confirmed some exist?
14:39 berick w/ null dates, that is
14:40 Dyrcona Well, no. I'm just guessing.
14:40 berick i only ask because i'm mostly guessing too
14:40 berick i mean, it seems like the likely cause
14:41 Dyrcona OK. I've confirmed...
14:41 berick cool, thanks for checking
14:41 Dyrcona You wouldn't believe me if I told you: 24,121.
14:41 Dyrcona Must be a migration thing.
14:41 berick yeah..
14:41 Dyrcona Our people love notes.
14:42 Dyrcona Well, that's not so bad. 169,830 are not null.
14:44 Dyrcona And, 0910 works now. I'll run 0911 next.
14:44 Dyrcona And it works.
14:45 Dyrcona I'll just do that update in production, too.
14:45 Dyrcona I mean for the null dates
14:46 jeff unless you can tie them to a migration-related date, i think i'd go with setting the note create_date to match the user create_date
14:47 Dyrcona Too late.
14:48 Dyrcona Migration date just seemed to make sense, and it may be better than null.
14:48 * Dyrcona has mixed thoughts on null.
14:48 kmlussier Is that a potential gotcha for other sites that should be covered in an upgrade note?
14:49 berick i'm surprised usr_note allows null.  that's atypical, but could be for a reason i'm not aware of.
14:50 berick kmlussier: yes.  fixing it automatically via the upgrade script is problematic, too.
14:51 berick well, we could default to NOW() on the new usr_message's, but leave the usr_notes with a NULL creat_date
14:51 Dyrcona berick: I was just about to ask if you thought the nullability should be removed.
14:51 berick that's a little hinky, though
14:51 berick Dyrcona: yeah, i do think it should be removed.
14:52 Dyrcona I think so, too, at this point.
14:53 berick that leaves the question of what to set it to and can we do it automatically.
14:54 * berick sets it to the date of the first commit in the EG repo ;)
14:55 kmlussier berick++ :)
14:56 Dyrcona An upgrade script that sets it to now() would work for me, or maybe something in the release notes suggesting people use an appropriate date like a migration date or something.
14:57 gmcharlt yeah
14:57 berick yeah, an upgrade note is a good start.
15:00 kmlussier On another note, the block message for available_copy_hold_ratio failures looks fabulous. I'll sign off on it in a few minutes.
15:00 berick kmlussier++
15:00 kmlussier I get way to happy about user-friendly block messages. I think I need to get out more.
15:01 berick um, no, we need to keep you locked away w/ a computer
15:01 berick @dessert kmlussier
15:01 * pinesol_green grabs some banana split for kmlussier
15:02 kmlussier :) Thank you!
15:03 Dyrcona Ooh...banana split....
15:03 Dyrcona @dessert
15:03 * pinesol_green grabs some Lemon Chess Pie for Dyrcona
15:03 jonadab Midnight, January 1st, 1970 ;-)
15:04 Dyrcona December 31, 1969. :)
15:05 mglass_ joined #evergreen
15:06 jonadab (We actually have some dates in our ILS that are the date when we first automated with our previous ILS.)
15:07 mglass__ joined #evergreen
15:10 csharp @dessert
15:10 * pinesol_green grabs some Banana Puddin' for csharp
15:11 TaraC_ joined #evergreen
15:11 kmlussier @dessert [someone]
15:11 * pinesol_green grabs some Pecan Pie for gsams
15:12 * kmlussier finally turns her attention to the 2.8 doc sprint.
15:18 ericar joined #evergreen
15:35 * berick wonders if there are any objections to back-porting bug 1234220
15:35 pinesol_green Launchpad bug 1234220 in Evergreen "Renewal blocked due to holds ratio does not display block message" (affected: 2, heat: 10) [Medium,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1234220
15:35 berick it's bug fix, but has new functionality in the sense you can override hold/ratio blocks
15:36 berick the lack of which was arguably a bug
15:36 berick yeah, we should backport.  i'll note in the ticket
15:49 gsams joined #evergreen
16:08 pinesol_green [evergreen|Yamil Suarez] Docs: Add authority section and Authority subject heading thesaurus - <http://git.evergreen-ils.org/?p=​Evergreen.git;a=commit;h=3001751>
16:10 csharp oooh - the version of ejabberd on Fedora 21 has totally different config files than our traditional /etc/ejabberd/ejabberd.cfg
16:11 csharp it's a YAML file rather than a normal conf file
16:13 jeff yeah, that's new with 13.mumble
16:13 * csharp muses that if there's more and more divergence between the distros we support that we should consider breaking out the README into per-distro instructions
16:13 jeff there's an "ejabberdctl convert_to_yaml" to convert old-style to new.
16:14 csharp oh - that's handy
16:14 kmlussier Rather than trying to fit in the two new bill OU settings in the Circ/Bills section of the docs, I think I'm going to create a new section under Library Settings editor that addresses all settings related to bills.
16:14 kmlussier csharp / jeff: Whenever I see yaml, I keep thinking you're talking about yboston
16:14 jeff blog post from 2013 claims ``You are now pleased to use ejabberd community as reference for stable releases of ejabberd, from the master branch. ejabberd 2.1.x support is discontinued.''
16:15 csharp kmlussier: heh - I was wondering why he wasn't answering :-P
16:15 gmcharlt csharp: I hope that evil day does not come (split installation instructions)
16:15 Dyrcona Actually, Process One, the main force behind ejabberd are looking for erlang programmers.
16:15 csharp gmcharlt: I was pondering asciidoc includes
16:15 yboston :)
16:16 gmcharlt csharp: ah, that sounds better
16:16 Dyrcona I saw it on G+ yesterday.
16:16 jeff on the Debian side of things, Jessie and up ship with ejabberd 14.
16:16 csharp so ejabberd changes and systemd - sounds like fun!
16:19 csharp for now I will create a branch for Fedora 21 README changes in the as-is file
16:22 jeff csharp: and of course there are outstanding systemd-related bugs against the ejabberd package in Debian. :-)
16:23 * mmorgan scratches head ...
16:23 mmorgan http://catalog.noblenet.org/eg/opac/record/3053965
16:23 mmorgan http://evergreen.noblenet.​org/eg/opac/record/3053965
16:23 mmorgan both of these links go to the same place, but "catalog" shows links to Novelist while "evergreen" does not. Not sure why this would be.
16:25 jeff at least some Novelist add-ons are enabled by environment variables set in the Apache config. That config is likely different between those two hostnames?
16:26 jeff if that's not it, then it's possible that the novelist product in question is configured for a specific hostname.
16:27 mmorgan will poke around some more. To confuse things further, we have 4 bricks, and connecting to them directly shows the links. evergreen is the only hostname that doesn't
16:30 pinesol_green [evergreen|Yamil Suarez] Docs: Eliminate accidental invalid level 5 AsciiDoc headings - <http://git.evergreen-ils.org/?p=​Evergreen.git;a=commit;h=38a6db4>
16:33 remingtron yboston++ #hope that fixes the PDF!
16:33 yboston I could not resist trying to fix that :(
16:34 remingtron no need to frown, fixing things is good
16:35 csharp huh - no reference to maxrate in the new ejabberd
16:35 csharp I'll confess that I don't really know what that button does anyway :-)
16:40 * csharp reads the included docs
16:41 csharp ah - it's "shaper"
16:43 berick csharp: what version?
16:47 jeff joined #evergreen
16:47 jeff joined #evergreen
16:48 hopkinsju joined #evergreen
16:48 Bmagic joined #evergreen
16:51 csharp berick: ejabberd version is 14.07
16:51 csharp here are my README changes so far: http://git.evergreen-ils.org/?p=wor​king/OpenSRF.git;a=commit;h=e5ff248​0d51feffee388e52104c2c592d37205d3
16:51 * csharp runs off to pick up his daughter from dance class
16:52 kmlussier yboston: So we should try to avoid the use of those level-4 headings in our doc files?
16:52 pinesol_green Incoming from qatests: Test Failure - http://testing.evergreen-ils.org/~live/test.html <http://testing.evergreen-ils.org/~live/test.html>
16:52 kmlussier Uh oh
16:53 yboston kmlussier: no, this was a special circumstance
16:53 kmlussier OK, thanks!
16:54 berick csharp: crazy, was there a big version jump?  seeing ubuntu (eventually) go 2.1.11 to 14.07
16:59 Dyrcona berick: They probably changed the number scheme.
17:00 jeff i think 3.x became 13.x
17:09 gmcharlt mmorgan: I've taken a look at it, and I don't see anything in the vhost config that explains it
17:09 gmcharlt and since both catalog.* and evergreen.* do pull in Novelist content
17:09 kmlussier The default item price library setting - is it used for long overdue as well as lost transactions?
17:09 gmcharlt my suspicion is that the issue is no Novellist's end
17:10 gmcharlt specifically since the novelist plus link is going to http://evergreen.noblenet.org/cgi-bin/ezproxy/...
17:11 gmcharlt novelist's code may be assuming that requests whose referrer is evergreen.nobenet.org don't need the ezproxy link
17:11 mmorgan gmcharlt: Thanks for looking. I was trying to decide whether it was a Novelist issue or not, and thinking it was not. But I'll contact them given this info.
17:11 * kmlussier may need to finish up doc work later if her son wants to eat dinner tonight.
17:11 * mmorgan must dash now, as the week has ended.
17:11 mmorgan gmcharlt++
17:12 mmorgan left #evergreen
17:24 jeff yeah, it's the difference in these two calls:
17:24 jeff http://novselect.ebscohost.com/Configura​tion/ProfileSettings?finalCall=true&amp;​callback=novSelect.clbkConfig&amp;profil​e=noble.main.novselstaf&amp;password=[omitted -jeff]&siteToken=evergreen.no​blenet.org&childProfile=true
17:24 jeff http://novselect.ebscohost.com/Configura​tion/ProfileSettings?finalCall=true&amp;​callback=novSelect.clbkConfig&amp;profil​e=noble.main.novselstaf&amp;password=[omitted -jeff]&siteToken=catalog.nob​lenet.org&childProfile=true
17:24 jeff I'd guess that there's a novelist-side config interface to turn features on/off
17:39 csharp bleh - just hit this bug https://bugzilla.redhat.co​m/show_bug.cgi?id=1163812
17:40 vlewis I need to create a new user, one without permissions, to test a grant permission function.  I'm in a developer environment.  Is there a set of instructions I could look at?  Thanks.
17:42 csharp vlewis: can you explain what you mean by "without permissions"?
17:43 csharp vlewis: all users have to belong to a permission group
17:46 vlewis One without admin permissions
17:49 csharp vlewis: sorry, not trying to be obtuse, but do you mean a user that is not *the* "admin" user (that is, a superuser)?
17:52 vlewis I think that's what I need.  I'm going to grant permission to the admin user and I need to make sure I exclude other users.
17:53 vlewis There are certain pages I only want the admin to be able to get to because they can set delete flags in the database from that page.
17:54 csharp vlewis: we might be talking past each other here... to clarify from my side, there is a single "admin user" that is a special administrative user created when Evergreen is installed to perform server setup functions that are not available to library staff users
17:55 vlewis I'm talking about staff client users that have admin permissions.
17:55 csharp then there are "local admins" or "global admins" (depending on your setup) that will be privileged users that are actually human beings (but who still don't have *every* permission assigned)
17:55 csharp ah
17:56 gsams joined #evergreen
17:56 csharp okay - then that sort of permission setup would be done in Admin -> Server Administration -> Permission Groups (to create the perm group you want) and the user is created in the staff client Circulation -> Register Patron, then assign the group
17:57 csharp but depending on what you're doing, you may be able to assign an existing group
17:58 vlewis csharp: Do I need to set library locations.  I'm not at a specific location.
17:58 csharp vlewis: yes, each staff member needs a working location assigned for perms to work
17:58 csharp *some* perms work without that, but many/most don't (or shouldn't, by design)
17:59 vlewis csharp: I'm in a development environment.  I don't have a location.
17:59 csharp vlewis: did you install the sample data?
17:59 csharp and I'm pretty sure example org units are set up by default
18:00 csharp e.g. BR1, BR2, etc.
18:00 vlewis csharp:  I have data in my database.
18:01 csharp vlewis: okay, then you should have the example org units set up - you can see them in Admin -> Server Administration -> Organizational Units
18:04 vlewis csharp:  I have a long list of org units  under Organizational Units.
18:05 csharp vlewis: okay - then those can be working locations as long as they can have users
18:06 csharp vlewis: in the user (patron) account, you can go to Other -> User Permission Editor and add a working location there
18:15 vlewis Just to back up a little. When I make a user (patron)  account will they be able to access the staff client?
18:18 jeffdavis /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ldbdpgsql
18:18 csharp vlewis: yes, if they are assigned a permission profile with the STAFF_LOGIN permission
18:19 jeffdavis ^ I get the above error when trying to install EG 2.8 beta on Ubuntu 14.04
18:27 jeffdavis ah! old install script used ./configure's --with-dbi option, but pointed in the wrong place - so a local issue only. whew!
18:30 vlewis csharp: Thanks for your help.  I may ask some more questions on Monday when I really dive into this.
18:40 ningalls joined #evergreen

| Channels | #evergreen index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | summary